Recreation - Chalkrock Wildlife Management Area
Chalkrock WMA is a 130-acre wildlife area with a 44-acre lake. The lake was built in 1986 by JP Theisen and Sons, Osmond, NE as a flood and erosion control structure. The dam itself is 61 feet high and has a flood storage capacity of 140 acres and drains 11,500 acres.
Construction of Chalkrock Dam was made possible by landowners donating property for public purpose. Those individuals donating ground were Stanley Schmidt, John Mueller, Vern Zavadil and Harold Schaefer. The Lewis & Clark NRD sponsored the project and along with the Cedar County Commissioners funded 25% of the cost. Grants from the Resources Development Fund of the Dept of Natural Resources financed the remaining 75% of the project. Total project cost was $503,438. Annual benefits to protected county roads, farmland, and public use amounts to $14,400 per year.
The project was designed and engineered by the Natural Resources Conservation Service and operated and maintained by the Nebraska Game & Parks Commission as a Wildlife Management Area. It is open to boating, hunting, and fishing and has a boat ramp. Fish stocked include bluegill, catfish, bass, walleye and muskie.
Chalkrock WMA is located 1 ½ miles east of Highway 81 on 895 Rd.